Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Assistive Technology and Social Bookmarking


Assistive Technology:

In a perfect world everyone would be healthy, happy, and have above average intelligence; however, this is not a perfect world and we are all different. As teachers we must always strive to place all of our students on a level playing field and assist all students with whatever means necessary. In order for us to do this we must be up-to-date on the newest technology available. I thought I knew the most up-to-date technology until I started researching!

I will discuss software, websites, and types of hardware for several types of disabilities as well as for students with gifts and talents. I will discuss students with mild and moderate disabilities, physical disabilities, sensory disabilities, at-risk students, and students with gifts and talents.

Students with mild disabilities, such as learning and emotional disabilities, often have trouble with learning and not with technology itself. I would use websites such as: http://www.ixl.com/math/grade-1 to reinforce the math skills we are learning in the classroom for more practice. I would also have the students use calculators for difficult math problems. I would have them use the following website for reading practice: http://pbskids.org/games/reading.html. The students would use headphones to hear the words being read to them while visually see them at the same time. For the students who are unable to write themselves, I would have them use software Dragon Talk’s Naturally Speaking. I found the software at Amazon for about $60.00 for the computers in my classroom. The software allows the student to speak and the computer types it for them and the papers can be printed.

Students with moderate to severe disabilities need help with living skills, such as interaction skills and money management skills. I would use the following website to reinforce the counting coins skill learned in class: http://www.turtlediary.com/grade-1-games/math-games/counting-coins.html. I would have the students use headphones and alternative keyboards for the practice games. I found a great website that has many different kinds of alternative keyboards available: http://www.enablemart.com/computer-accessibility/keyboards/alternative-keyboards.

Students with physical disabilities need more hardware assistance to help them accomplish daily classroom activities. I would have a computer with a joystick in the place of a mouse. I would also have voice recognition software, Dragon Talk’s Naturally Speaking, to allow the students to speak the words and have the computer type for them. I would also use the following app for the purpose of communicating when words are not coming out like we need them to:  Answers Yes No. It allows students to choose which they would rather say and it allows them to communicate with their peers around them. Information on this app can be found on the following link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/answers-yesno-hd/id393762442?mt=8
Students with sensory disabilities, such as vision and hearing, also need hardware to assist them in the classroom. For a student that is blind I would have braille books.  I would like to purchase the optical character recognition software for my classroom. The software allows you to take books and scan them into the computer and it then it takes the words and reads the story to the student. For students who are partially sighted I have a magnifying glass over one of my computer screens, but I would want to get a closed-circuit television magnification system. I would also want to purchase hardware for the iPad to use the app: The HumanWare Communicator, this app allows the deaf, blind, and sighted people to communicate with each other. The hardware comes with HumanWare Brailliant braille display or a BrailleNote apex and Bluetooth to help the deaf and blind communicate. For more information on this wonderful app please click on the following link:  http://appfinder.lisisoft.com/app/humanware-communicator.html. I would accommodate my deaf students by using my Red Cat Amplification system in my classroom. I would also use sign language as much as possible in my classroom and around the school. I have taught my students simple sign language in my classroom by using the following websites: http://www.aslpro.com/samples/ewpic01/ewpic01/ewpic01.html, http://lifeprint.com/, and http://www.handspeak.com/?utm_expid=18398096-2.

I try to use software and hardware to motivate my at-risk students as well. My students love the following website: http://www.softschools.com/math/games/. This website has tons of games to help practice math and reading. I allow the students to use calculators and a Turbo Twist Math game by Leap Frog as a math learning tool.

I sometimes find it more difficult to accommodate the gifted and talented students than students with disabilities! I have my gifted and talented students do research and Power Points on the computers. I have them use the app: Scramble with friends. This app helps students to build their vocabulary while communicating with other students around the world. The Smithsonian Channel is also another great app for the students to learn interesting facts and watch videos from the museum.
I am amazed at how much technology there is for all types of students and adults and most of it is free, we just have to take the time to find it. Teachers are the people parents turn to for information on these things and we should know and be up-to-date on technology and accommodations. I am more aware of what is out there, but it changes daily and it will be an on-going process of learning new hardware, software, and technology, but I am up to the challenge.

Resource:
Robyler, M. D. & Doering, A. (2013). Integrating Educational Technology Into Teaching. 6th edition


Social Bookmarking:

I choose to use Diigo and you can find my bookmarks on the following link: https://www.diigo.com/user/hilla7972 

No comments:

Post a Comment